Thursday, January 17, 2008

Week 2, Wednesday

Unfortunately, I am getting to this blog post late. I came down with a cold and so I am now posting with a cup of hot steaming Theraflu in hand.
Class on Wednesday was a relief. I feel like we are moving a bit slow and so it was good to just sum up all that has been said thus far (this means that we will be moving on soon!). I found the discussion of Jesus, as he relates to pop culture, a difficult one. On the one hand I want to say that Jesus sided with the "common person" on all issues, but then I remember that he was aware of and conversant in the discussions of the high culture (the temple cult and scriptural interpretation). In the end it doesn't seem that Jesus was "nice" to any one segment of culture. I don't know if any of us are called to be "nice". We are called to love others and that means that, like Jesus, we speak the truth to those who need to hear it. Certainly, the rich and cultured of Jesus' day needed to hear the truth and be challenged, but the poor and downtrodden did not escape Jesus' demand for repentance and a life given to God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"In the end it doesn't seem that Jesus was "nice" to any one segment of culture. I don't know if any of us are called to be "nice". We are called to love others and that means that, like Jesus, we speak the truth to those who need to hear it."

I completely agree.