Monday, January 14, 2008

Week 1, Cobb- Chapter 1 (Popular Culture)

What a fascinating approach to popular culture.  I was told during the many years that I have been in the American system of education that popular culture was something that is unimportant and irrelevant as far as the weightier matters of economics and politics go.  Now, Cobb says the exact opposite. The narratives that we are fed via the music and movies and television that we pump daily into our minds define us.  The popular culture, according to Cobb, defines the "real" world.   I think this is a fascinating and radical statement and I can't wait to read more.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I was told during the many years that I have been in the American system of education that popular culture was something that is unimportant and irrelevant as far as the weightier matters of economics and politics go. Now, Cobb says the exact opposite."

Great!