Monday, January 21, 2008

Week 2 Barker, Chapter 3 (Ideology)

I agree wholeheartedly with the consensus of cultural studies that distinguishing between a "good" high culture and a "bad" popular culture is an impossible task. However, I don't think one can conclude that there is no room whatsoever to not grade or critique the aesthetics of a particular piece of culture (contra Barker 2003, 65). It is probably correct to say that the standards of aesthetics are subjective, but I do not think that Barker demonstrates that the standards of critiquing the political power of culture (a task that is shown to be at the heart of cultural studies) are not subjective. In the end, I feel that it is perfectly legitimate to judge the quality of a piece of artwork or music, if the judge states upfront the standards and rules by which the judgment is made. I agree with the importance placed on looking at the power politics of a situation, but I am not ready to give up completely the necessity of looking at the quality of culture.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Chris, I commented on your blog this week...

Brian

Brian said...

Well said, Chris; I hadn't thought of it from that angle. Perhaps then what you may be speaking to is a cultural norm that is established from a different host, in this case the Kingdom of God, that offers the lens or framework with which we would "judge" aspects of culture. In the case of art, I wonder what the framework would be for judging aesthetics? Perhaps it could be as simple (and complex) as "was YHWH glorified through my work of art?"